So you think you know your history?
You want to become part of a community of forward-looking history writers?
And you want more people to know who you are?
Well today is your lucky day – if you answered yes to all of those questions. Write for us on our blog!
An introduction to the blog
The purpose of the blog is to create posts that explore history in a different way to our podcasts and books. Specifically, we are creating a compendium of posts that:
- Offer sometimes controversial opinions about major topics in history
- Discuss lesser-known events
- Provide humorous introductions to topics in history
- Show interesting historical facts, pictures, and videos
Who can write for us?
We’re not after any sort of person in particular. Anybody who can write with flair, has a brain, and a knowledge of history can write for us – no experience is required!
What do we want in the posts?
Our introductory post detailed the wide-ranging topics of the site (click here). Our focus is on:
- 20th century history
- 19th century history
- Civil wars
- The rise and fall of Communism
However, if you have something interesting to say about other topics in history, get in touch! We may well want to post about other topics in history too.
The types of articles we want are:
- Written blog posts in the region of 700-1000 words, although don’t be afraid to write them longer or shorter than that. Just please don’t send us your dissertation – posts shouldn’t be too long and it would be great if there was a bit of humor/wit in them!
montages – put together a selection of photos on a topic or been to a great
historical site where you’ve taken lots of photos that you’d like more people
to see? Now you can share them with our audience! Well, as long as you have the
right to share them..
- Infographics – got some great stats and pictures on a topic in history in a nice visual format? Let us know! Confused as to what an infographic is? Our friends at Wikipedia can help – click here.
- Videos. Created a video about a historical site on a trip? Or are you a budding documentary-maker who wants to share their latest work? We might just like to post it..
One final point. While we would prefer original posts, we are happy to syndicate work that you have posted elsewhere - as long as you have the right to post it on our site.
And the final, final point (the disclaimer!). We’ve got high standards here, so if your English grammar is not the best and we need to spend hours editing your post for it to be acceptable, we might well reject it. That said, while there is no cast-iron guarantee that we will post what you send to us, there is only one way to find out – get in touch!
What’s in it for me?
So, why would you write for us? Here’s what we think:
- Writing for us will allow you to become part of a community of smart, informed history writers that will enhance ‘brand you!’
- You get to promote yourself to our ever-growing number of email subscribers/followers/fans – thousands of people, maybe millions one day. We will finish the article you create with your name and an optional link to a website/other internet resource
- You support a site that is seeking to become a premier resource for introductions to history on a range of topics. By adding to our knowledge base, you are helping others to become more aware of the past and its lessons
- You may get cash. Money? The million dollar question. We can discuss if we’ll pay you, but if you’re famous and a proven writer we’re much more likely to offer you compensation; however, even if you’re not, don’t fret! We may pay you and besides, we’ve got exciting plans - we are building a pool of writers who can develop more substantial, commissioned articles in the future. And we will pay good money for those more substantial articles. As history teaches us on so many occasions, patience is a virtue..
How do you contact us?
Simply write to email@example.com and you will get straight through to a site editor. When you write, let us know:
- Who you are – name, country, background in history (e.g. studied Ancient History at XX university), any relevant website/social media links
- Why you want to write for us
- What you want to create/have created – topic, what type of post (written blog post, video etc.), length of post
Stuck for ideas? No worries. We’ve normally got a list of topics that we want to develop, so just ask.
And finally, happy post creation all! Hope you have fun with it..
The small print - you agree to the following when posting with us:
- We reserve the right to post what we choose on the site
- After you submit an article, we may edit it, after which we may send it back to you for review
- We reserve the right to add links, images, other style changes, and minor grammar/wording edits to blog posts at a later date without your consent (we will reserve the right to decide what minor is!)
- If we're not paying you for an article that you have written for us, after we have published it you will be free to publish it elsewhere as long as there is a link back to this website at the bottom of the article unless otherwise agreed between us; if we're paying you to write the article, you will not be able to publish it elsewhere unless otherwise agreed between us
- If you write for the magazine (whether paid or unpaid), you will not be able to publish it elsewhere unless otherwise agreed between us